I was invited to participate in a program called Inside CCISD and I attended the first session yesterday. OMG! I am already impressed and can’t wait for the next sessions that will continue monthly through May. According to CCISD’s website:
For more than 10 years, INSIDE CCISD has provided a unique opportunity for parents and community members to learn about the Clear Creek Independent School District. Through lunch and learn meetings, participants meet District leadership, staff and students and go behind the scenes of CCISD’s infrastructure, programs and services, and exchange ideas about the challenges and opportunities for improvements.ccisd.net/insideccisd
Our first session was an introduction to the program, our CCISD Board Members, and self introductions. In the class were realtors, members of the Chamber of Commerce, parents, retirees, and others who have an interest in education. Board members in attendance were Michelle Davis, Jay Cunningham, Johnathon Cottrell, Jeff Larson, and Jessica Cejka. We also were provided a “State of the District” presentation by the interim Superintendent Karen Engle. Some interesting facts about the district:
- The district covers 103 sq miles
- 2 Counties, Harris and Galveston
- 13 Cities
- 45 schools
- 41,000+ students
- 5,000+ employees
- In 2020 CCISD lost 1400 students (3.5%), the first reduction since 1948!
- Average salaries for teachers is $60,000
- Their last budget included a 2-3% raise for teachers and support personnel
- Tax rate was reduced due to property value increases
- CCISD has 54 officers assigned to schools
- 5 additional officers were added for 2022-2023
- $35 Million added for security since the Santa Fe shooting
The next session will be focused on school safety with City, County, and State Leaders. Needless to say I am going to be very interested in this session. I doubt anyone will bring up the elephant in the classroom, easy access to weapons used in mass shootings like Uvalde, Santa Fe, El Pass, Sutherland Springs, and Odessa. Schools across Texas are spending millions of our tax dollars just to protect the rights of an 18 year old to buy military style weapons. But…..I digress….
Each month I will give a report on the session. I really appreciate being invited!